Jacqueline Soares, Non Denominational Officiant

Beach Weddings

Memorial Officiant

Mobile Notary Services

I DoToday.com

I Do Today & Forever More

Wedding Officiant for Orange County and Greater Los Angeles area

Marriage License

Recording the License

Name Change

Here I will address the most frequently asked questions along with a simple guide to acquiring your marriage certificate, recording, obtaining certified copies and name change.

Marriage License

Public Marriage License- Fee $91

A public marriage license is a public record, and anyone can request a copy or information from the record. This license can be used anywhere in the State of California.

Confidential Marriage License- Fee $85

A confidential marriage license becomes a confidential record, and the only people able to obtain information about it are the couple, except by special court order. The requirements to obtain this type of license are:

  • Couple must be living together prior to the marriage.
  • This license can be used anywhere in the State of California.

To complete the application for a marriage license, a couple must:

  • Appear together in person.

  • Each present one form of a valid non-expired photo identification (such as a driver's license or passport).

  • If divorced within the last 90 days, please provide a certified copy of the divorce decree. If spouse is deceased within the previous 90 days, please provide a certified copy of the death certificate. Click here for more information on obtaining a certified copy of your divorce decree.

  • Select the name each wishes to use after marriage, to be listed on the marriage license. Couples are not required to change their names nor are they required to take the same name. However, if a name change is desired, it must be correctly reflected before the marriage license is signed. Once the license is signed, names can only be changed by a court order.

  • Both individuals must be able to read, speak and understand English. If not, the couple must bring a third party translator to obtain a license and to have a ceremony performed. The department does not provide translation services.
    (information quoted from http://www.ocrecorder.com/services/marriage)

Recording your License

As officiant I am required to send your license back in for recording. Often couples wish to do it themselves so please find the needed information below:

Requesting certified copy/ies of your marriage license:

Fee is $15/ea certified copy. I usually encourage my couples to purchase 2 for their records and name changes.

Name Change:

The process/steps for Orange County, Riverside County and Los Angeles is the same as below:

 From Los Angeles Recorder's office guidelines to name change

Articles of Related Topic interest:

By Heather Lee, published July 2, 2015

By Amanda Black, featured on The Knot.